Donald Trump may be an idiot, but even an idiot can accidentally hit on the right strategy. He knows that his so-called base, about 40%, isn’t enough to get him re-elected. And there’s nothing he can do to add to it. So his only hope is to discourage enough of the other 60% from voting … Continue reading THE CAMPAIGN AS OF AUGUST 2019
With apologies to Neil Diamond, Have you heard about the frog who dreamed of being a king,and then became one? Well, except for the name and a few other changes, if you talk about D, the story’s the same one. It was hard to picture the frog as being a king, and now that he’s … Continue reading HOW TO DUMP TRUMP
Apparently in American presidential politics there’s something called a base. The Democrats have one, the Republics have another, and Donald Trump has his very own. Voters who don’t belong to a base can drift from one candidate to another, but not if you do belong to one. But if you’re a member of one you … Continue reading WHAT’S A POLITICIAN’S BASE?
What Donald Trump means by fake news is not the reporting of what’s materially false. It’s the reporting as true what only could be true. It could be true – because it would be perfectly understandable if it were – that “the President is becoming increasingly worried that the Mueller probe could lead to his … Continue reading FAKE NEWS
In the words of Shakespeare’s Mark Anthony, “The evil that men do live after them. The good is oft interred with their bones.” Fortunately it’s the opposite with political prognostications. No one remembers if you get it wrong. But if you get it right, you’re forever cited for being incredibly astute. So yes, it’s a … Continue reading THE NEXT FOURTEEN YEARS
In real estate it all comes down to location, location, location. In comedy it’s all about timing. Put the two together and that’s all that can be said about one’s own take on the world. From the here and now, from within this moment in history, it looks to me like fill-in-the-blank. Well then, from … Continue reading TRUMP, VOLTAIRE, AND EDMUND BURKE
What Donald Trump has done, both during the campaign and in the year and a half since, is tapped into the backlash against both political correctness and what’s correct politically. The backlash against political correctness was long overdue. In saying what was on his mind he’s given permission to millions of Americans to say what’s … Continue reading DESIDERATA
By a human right, as distinct from a civil right, is meant, presumably, one one has independently of the polity to which she happens to belong. But a human right does not extend between sovereign jurisdictions. By this I mean that the freedom of religion that I enjoy in Canada, for example, does not entitle … Continue reading THE MIGRANT DILEMMA